Monday, February 4, 2008

My New Caking Blog!

I'd thought about doing this for quite some time, but didn't think I had the "resume" yet to go for it. I figured that since I'd been caking for almost a year and have put together a small portfolio, that it was time.

Don't get me wrong, my skills are still lacking, but I've realized that I must commit to this new passion of mine and put in the time and dedication that it demands. Especially, since I've been getting more and more requests for cakes. I want to be proud of the cakes I make and I have made a few cakes that just make me cringe. So much so, that I haven't photographed them or shared the photographs I did take.

My commitment includes joining an on-line cake community (which I'd done a while ago), joining a local club of other decorators (The Confection Connection Cake Club) and taking classes.

The classes will be the standard Wilton classes, of which there are four. Held at your local Joann's or Michael's.
  • Discovering cake decorating - Course I. Beginner. I'm not sure I would classify myself as a beginner. I like to think I know the basics, however, with these classes, they claim to show you the "right" way to decorate. Not sure what that means, but if it's how to fill pastry bags and use piping tips, I'll pass.
  • Flowers & Borders - Course II. Intermediate. I would definitely benefit from this class. I have yet to make a buttercream cake. All of my cakes have been covered in fondant, so I don't know the first thing about buttercream roses, shell borders, etc. As a matter fact, it scares me.
  • Fondant & Tiered Cakes - Course III. Intermediate. I'd like to think I'd excel in this class given that I've had my share of successes (and failures) with fondant and tiered cakes. I've learned most of what I know the hard way, so I'd hope this course will enhance what I already know.
  • Fondant & Gumpaste. Intermediate. I've tried using gumpaste for flowers and figurines and hated it. I prefer using fondant for all things, so this class will be most intriguing.


Each class is one night per week, four weeks long and in two-hour sessions. The upside: they provide everything! Even the cakes to decorate with! Not bad for $15-20/class. Especially if it improves my areas that need fine tuning.


I'll keep you updated on how these things progress and the cakes that are forthcoming. Including my cake disasters.

No comments: