Sunday, November 9, 2008

McKenzie & James

Our good friends twins, McKenzie and James, were celebrating their 2nd birthday and I was asked to make the cake. Interestingly, the theme of the party was decided on the style of cake I made and I was given the option of making a Wonder Pets or Finding Nemo themed cake. I chose Nemo! I had always wanted to make a Nemo cake and this was the perfect opportunity!
I carved one and a half 9" x 13" cakes to create Crush's shell and made the fins (flippers?), head, Marlin, Nemo and Squirt from rice crispy treats. Sadly, I didn't actually have any pictures of the characters to draw from when creating them, other than frequent visits to the laptop while molding. I would have done a lot of things differently if I had.
Needless to say, the cake was a HUGE hit and I'm pretty proud of it. Special thanks to DH for all his help!



Butter cake w/ buttercream filling. Covered and decorated w/ marshmallow fondant.

2 comments: