Monday, September 14, 2009

Wall-E Cake

My daughter requested a Wall-E cake for her third birthday, and I had no idea what a huge undertaking it would be and test to my caking abilities.
I was completely perplexed by his eyes, hands and arms. So, I decided to use rice krispies (rkts) covered in modeling chocolate/chocolate clay. This was my first time using modeling chocolate and I LOVED it. SO easy to make, use and another great technique I have under my belt. The downside was the combined weight of the rkts and chocolate. The hands immediately starting falling apart once I attached them to the arms and the arms to the cake. So, while they initially looked good, in the end, not so hot.
The body of the cake was four stacked 6.5" square cakes; incredibly heavy, so I was concerned about stacking it on smaller cakes that would be his wheels/feet. So, I bought, carved and covered styrofoam with fondant. Why at that time it didn't occur to me to make the eyes, hands and arms out of styrofoam, I have no idea. But that epiphany didn't hit me until almost a day later after the party.
Suffice it to say that I know exactly what I would do differently to make this a more accurate depiction and prettier version of Wall-E.


Cinnamon chocolate cake with Oreo cookies & cream filling and strawberry banana creme cake with vanilla buttercream filling. Covered/decorated with mmf. Feet are styrofoam covered w/ fondant. Eyes, arms and hands are rkt covered with modeling chocolate.

3 comments:

SweetThingsTO said...

What a complex cake/project - awesome work!

Grandma said...

OK, Jimmy, you and me - we've almost have a time. Food Channel here we come!

Rebekah said...

I just found your site!! You do great work!!!!