Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Me vs. The Pros...Take 2

As I was writing yesterday's post, more and more things kept coming to me about what would make my life easier as a caker. I'd love to open my own shop and share my creations with the neighborhood, but I'm not yet in a position to do it because I think I still have so much more to learn. But (big but), it doesn't mean I don't fantasize about it. And I often do it while I'm in the throes of a cake at 1 a.m.

So, without further adieu, more Me vs. The Pros.

5. Work Surface. I mentioned yesterday that I had an island in my kitchen. I always wanted an island in the kitchen of our first home and I got one. It's ideal for working free of cupboards and in not so many words, spread the mess around. Ah yes, free to get powdered sugar everywhere. Yup, more counterspace to collect things and have to try and keep clean. Everything has it's place right? It's just that most of it ends up not in it. What to use?
Me: My island.




A lazy day in February for me and the hubs and of course, our island in the background.

This is the best picture I could find of our island, which funnily, happens to have a cake on it. You may (or may not) also notice that there's a sink, smack-dab in the middle of it. This feature is not uncommon, but I SURE do wish that it was mostly left of mostly right. The rental house we lived in before we bought our house had a large island, sans sink, and beautiful granite counters. I's-a got some remodelin' to do! Oh, and did you notice all the other miscellaneous crap. Nice, huh?

The Pros: Stainless Work Table

No sink. No clutter. 'Nuff said.
And fairly inexpensive, about $150.00.

6. Spacesavers. Now, I often like to dabble in other baked goods. I've been known to make cupcakes, cookies, iced sugar cookies and cake balls/lollipops. And what I lack in cooling racks, I also lack in counter space. And if I want to leave my cookies out on the counter, I must beware of super-sly three-year old hands, or interfering in every day things like, you know, making dinner. What to use?

Me: I got nothin'.


I've put things on top of the fridge, on top of the microwave, on top of spa-gheeettttiiii, aw geez, I just don't have adequate space to put anything. And if I do, I have to hawk-it to make sure curious fingers don't innocently feel the need to help.

The Pros: Proofing/Bun Racks

I have visions of trays of iced cookies and cake ball-ffles, setting to perfection in their own designated space; a place they can call home, until they get in someone's belly. Maybe a cake or two, leveled, iced and waiting to be adorned. If only... And about as inexpensive as a work table.

7. Goods. There have been many a nights when I have run out of something and had to bolt to the store before it closed at midnight. Things I generally have on hand until a batch goes wrong in the making. I hate this. It makes me feel helpless and slows down my decorating time. I'm pretty organized, but when SMBC turns to soup and you need more egg whites, you have no choice.

Me: The Grocery Store

I'm grateful that I have a Safeway store about 200 yards from my house. Last I remembered, they used to be open 24 hours, but this one is only open until midnight. I have made a desperate run at 11:57 p.m. for a bag a powdered sugar.

Also at my disposal is Costco Wholesale and every time I go there, I just can't convince myself that I need a 50lb bag of powdered sugar. IF I were to buy it, I'm sure I'd use it over a period of time, but then again, seriously, where do you put it and how do you keep critters out of it. Obviously, I'd have to put it in a bin, but that's a mess waiting to happen. Don't get me started on butter, eggs, flour, etc.

The Pros: Wholesale Delivery

Just make the call...

Eggs...

Butter...


Flour...

Chocolate.

Me: "Yes, I need you to deliver 100 lbs of powdered sugar, 72 lbs of butter and 30 dozen eggs, blah blah chocolate, flour and blobbity blah cream, please.

Them: "As you wish."

This is when the previously mentioned reach-in fridge/freezer is awesome and the above work table has storage space for bins of sugar, etc.

Must be nice.

Until tomorrow...

No comments: